Wednesday 10 February 2010

Moist Almond and Citrus Drizzle Cakes


After noticing the best before date on the eggs in my kitchen was the 4th Feb, I decided I'd better use them up. I really fancied making a lemon drizzle cake (so tangy and sweet!) and remembered one I made months ago which had ground almonds in the recipe. I looked on the Good Food website for the recipe but alas! the website was down for maintance. I got a complete bargin with the ground almonds for this recipe, 30p for 200g!


So I came up with this adapted recipe for fairy cakes :)
Ingredients:
- 110g Butter/Spread
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 60g Self Raising Flour
- Zest of a Lemon
- Zest of an Orange
- Few drops of Almond and Vanilla extracts
- Juice of a Large Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons of Granulated Sugar
Method
- Preheat your oven to 180C or 170C for fan ovens.
- Using an electric whisk, cream the butter, caster sugar and zests together.
- Once creamed and fluffy add the extracts, almonds and eggs, beat together.
- Once combined fold in the flour.
- Spoon into cake cases(about three quarters full) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar together, stab the cakes with a cocktail stick and spoon some of the lemon juice mixture over each cake.


These are best eaten warm.

10 comments:

  1. great blog!^^
    i start following you, if you like you can follow me back?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm late replying! I never check this blog but I think I'll start posting again! I'll definitly check out your blog xx

      Delete
  2. uh wow, it looks so tasty and sweet! love the decoration!
    your blog is really nice!!

    maybe take a look at mine and follow me if you like it! or following each other!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a delicate cupcake! <3
    thanks for sharing the sweet recipe, would you like to follow each other?
    A
    xx
    http://epiquemoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh these look so yum!
    Have you ever tried mixing icing sugar and lemon juice together for the icing? It's SO good :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i wish i can cook, this looks so yummy! now i'm hungry haha. you must be a great cook!

    anansays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm..
    That sounds so good.. I love a slice of lemon drizzle and the idea of that in a cupcake AND WITH ground almonds.. Yum yum..
    It's my grandma's birthday next month and i think these would be right up her street :) ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I love your blog. What do you think about following each other?

    Much Love,
    http://amyklundt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Will definitely try this one :)
    Followng your blog now. Hoping you'll follow mine too :)

    ReplyDelete