After noticing the best before date on the eggs in my kitchen was the 4th Feb, I decided I'd better use them up. I really fancied making a lemon drizzle cake (so tangy and sweet!) and remembered one I made months ago which had ground almonds in the recipe. I looked on the Good Food website for the recipe but alas! the website was down for maintance. I got a complete bargin with the ground almonds for this recipe, 30p for 200g!
So I came up with this adapted recipe for fairy cakes :)
- 110g Butter/Spread
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g Ground Almonds
- 60g Self Raising Flour
- Zest of a Lemon
- Zest of an Orange
- Few drops of Almond and Vanilla extracts
- Juice of a Large Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons of Granulated Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C or 170C for fan ovens.
- Using an electric whisk, cream the butter, caster sugar and zests together.
- Once creamed and fluffy add the extracts, almonds and eggs, beat together.
- Once combined fold in the flour.
- Spoon into cake cases(about three quarters full) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked mix the lemon juice and granulated sugar together, stab the cakes with a cocktail stick and spoon some of the lemon juice mixture over each cake.
These are best eaten warm.